Question. Basic with good math libraries
03-13-2018, 02:54 PM
RE: Question. Basic with good math libraries
(03-13-2018 11:57 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  What math routines are you looking for? Decimal BASIC has all the usual trig functions, hyperbolics. Also you can set degrees or radians as the angle mode so you don't need conversion factors as in some radian-only BASICs.

Thanks for sharing the info. Good to know that it is actively developed and I understand the idea to close the gap to a fixed document. I do not remember who said something here, maybe Paul Dale, that running behind ever expanding set of features kills the motivation of the dev team.

As you pointed out, the set of routines included in Basic are fixed, but I am not asking for routines only included with the standard library. I am talking also about external libraries. I found several basic libraries of "*.bas" there and there that are partial. I believe that if one works on it, can collect quite a library of routines after porting, testing, polishing. The problem is that it is a lot of work. I was expecting some sort of math routines well collected already. Only this. For this I recalled the 71B that has math libraries already done and packed, that are quite vast (for example, they offer a lot of functions with complex arguments, solvers, etc...).

(03-13-2018 12:20 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  If we're only excluding VB.NET - which is really more like Pascal or C, and has very little in common with BASIC - based on licensing, then I think Python + numpy + scipy is probably the high-level language of choice these days for math and data science.

Vb.NET is not really like pascal or C, rather like C# or Java. The .net idea is exactly getting away from medium level languages where one has to care about memory management and co.

I know about python or numpy, and I know that they are pretty good, but I cannot really digest the indentation pattern in python. I find it quite clean to read, but it doesn't fit the way I make comments and I highlight little blocks of statements (I highlight them surrounding them with empty lines).

Also in this particular case I am focusing on Basic, since there is the connection with the 71B that had already plenty of useful stuff but it seems that it was not ported in the PC world (aside from 71B emulators).

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question. Basic with good math libraries - pier4r - 03-13-2018 02:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)