Question. Basic with good math libraries
03-13-2018, 07:32 PM
RE: Question. Basic with good math libraries
(03-13-2018 05:35 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  The 71 doesn't just use extensive libraries though. The vast wealth of native complex-number functions and so on in its Math module are written in assembly language for maximum performance, and they actually extend the language, including the functionality of basic operators; for example, if A and B are complex variables (or even if only one of them is complex), A*B yields a complex result, with no complaints. The FFT word FOUR could do a 1024-point complex fast Fourier transform in half the time it took the original IBM PC to do it in GWBASIC, even though the PC had the clock speed advantage by a factor of 7½ times.

Thanks for the info! And yes, I am asking exactly about some basic with such a vaste and flexible math library. Maybe not optimized in assembler, but present and working.

In my little experience I was thinking that such work had been ported to other systems (and in particular on PC/mainframes with extensions), since it is valuable. Instead it seems that a lot of effort went into those little gems (71B and others), and then stayed there.

I can understand that RPL was not ported - although RPL/2, newRPL and other exists - as it is not that user friendly. But basic!

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question. Basic with good math libraries - pier4r - 03-13-2018 07:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)