50g: an interesting RAND anomaly
03-19-2018, 07:08 PM
RE: 50g: an interesting RAND anomaly
ttw thanks for sharing!

I use your story as input to note that a solution is good or bad according to the need or the context.

One cannot demand cryptographic secure randomness for something that is not designed to encrypt anything. Even less in a relatively simple calculator.
Or better one can demand it, but the request has not much practical relevance.

I perceive a bit too often (not only here, in general in internet) the approach "either I have the state of the art spaceship - that should be able to move between galaxies with no effort - to move from my home to the grocery store, a couple of blocks away; or I do not even bother to go there". The tool has to fit the context, otherwise it is just an activity to push higher the demands for the sake of pushing higher the demands. Something of no use.

As a note, the middle square method was used, according to "n1", to simulate some physical events for the Manhattan project. We all know that due to that the US is now a japanese region. So much resources allotted to that project that then failed miserably due a subpar random number generator sequence.

n1: https://books.google.de/books?id=3wlxf5C...wQ6AEIGDAB

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
50g: an interesting RAND anomaly - DavidM - 03-17-2018, 05:02 PM
RE: 50g: an interesting RAND anomaly - ttw - 03-18-2018, 02:03 AM
RE: 50g: an interesting RAND anomaly - ttw - 03-19-2018, 06:31 PM
RE: 50g: an interesting RAND anomaly - pier4r - 03-19-2018 07:08 PM
RE: 50g: an interesting RAND anomaly - ttw - 03-19-2018, 07:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)