Solving the TVM equation for the interest rate
04-15-2018, 06:08 PM
RE: Solving the TVM equation for the interest rate
(04-15-2018 05:30 PM)Carsen Wrote:  If you solve for i, the answer is 2.152976E-11, rather than 0 when you leave the value of i at 0. This proves that since we changed the initial value in i from 0 to 0.001, it changed the result. It's almost like it uses the value in the i register as a initial guess. Just as you concluded before.

I can't say which of the previous values influences the new result, but at least one of them seems to do so.

(04-15-2018 05:30 PM)Carsen Wrote:  The Prime had to chime in because without a proper initial guess, the 50g would take minutes to solve for i.

There always is some kind of initial guess - the solver has to start somewhere. But if you don't give one and/or the solver does not set one on its own, the results can be random.

(04-15-2018 05:30 PM)Carsen Wrote:  To answer your first question, I think the 1/n estimate would be fine. Every time I used the equation to solve for i on my 50g and Prime solver, the initial guess of 1/n worked FANTASTIC. I was able to solve for i in seconds on my 50g with that initial estimate of 1/n.
I also tried Angel Martin's initial guess equation on my 50g and Prime and it works too. I just had to divide it by 100 to get the percentage as a decimal.

I now have written an experimental version for the 11C / 15C and added this to the thread started by Gamo. The initial guess is calculated in a way I derived some time ago, cf. the formula at the end of this post. Could you also try this one and report the results?

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Solving the TVM equation for the interest rate - Dieter - 04-15-2018 06:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)