[HP-41] Today is Clonix-41's X Anniversary... :-)
12-17-2013, 08:27 PM
RE: [HP-41] Today is Clonix-41's X Anniversary... :-)
Hi Geir,

I'm glad to read from you. And thanks for your patience and friendly support with some of the early bugs in the NoV-64 development... :-)

Aurelio,

The decision of using a connector or an attached cable for the USB-41 was one of the most relevant concerns when designing this interface module. I may be proven wrong of course but considering, by one hand, the type of use the module was intended for which is mainly a connection with a PC with little to no movement (not like the Wand which requires constant movement) and the fact that the module itself has a very poor structural strength. I assumed that this is why all modules manufactured by HP which require cables have that cable attached: HP-IL, Wand and 82143A Printer and built my module with the same concept. On the other hand, the footprint of the mini or micro USB female connector, anthough not very big, is an important drawback. Also, the small rubber relief in the USB-41 cable allows the mechanical stress to be handled by the plastic case instead of delivering it to the soldered wires, which will be the case if a connector is used.

The USB-41 cable is a bit thinner (and longer) than the one in the Wand. This made it a bit more easy to handle but it bears similar overall flexibility. And of course it also provides power to the HP-41 when required (i.e. if no batteries are present).

I don't quite understand your reference to an IR module with USB interface. An IR module to include Clonix features & IR printer interface may be interesting, but using a physical HP-printer (IR, 82143A, or 82162A) offer very little benefits (except for the limited graphical features) when compared with the USB-41 printer emulation, where you can save your printings or produce a hardcopy of them on any available PC printer, saving the need of special (and time-fading) thermo paper.

BTW I still wonder when a skilled user will come along with an utility to convert the richtext output file of a program listing from the USB-41, into a program file for (say) V41 emulator... Any volunteer? ;-)

Well, as usual I wrote much more than needed (and desired) when it comes to technical aspects. My apologies.

Enjoy your 41s!

Diego.

"Do not suppose, check it twice."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [HP-41] Today is Clonix-41's X Anniversary... :-) - Diego Diaz - 12-17-2013 08:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)