[VA] Short & Sweet Math Challenges #23: "May the 4th Be With You !" Special
05-14-2018, 10:21 PM
RE: [VA] Short & Sweet Math Challenges #23: "May the 4th Be With You !" ...
Hi, John:

Quote:Amen! They could at least have given us an RPN calculator mode. HP-41 compatible ideally, although I don't know if that would have fit into 5K.

It probably would, 5 Kb of optimized Saturn assembly language can reach very far. Just consider the many worthwhile functionalities of the basic HP-71B and it all fits in just 59 Kb, even still including some space/time-wasting garbage.

Also, the HP-71B operating system already includes essential RPN functionalities. Each numeric expression entered is parsed and tokenized into internal RPN form for storage as program code and/or execution, then decompiled as necessary for program listings, editing and debugging. It would simply be a matter of harnessing that existing functionality and exposing it to the user.

Quote:Thanks from me also for a fun and invigorating challenge, although mostly "above my pay grade".

You're welcome, I'm truly glad that you liked it and greatly appreciate your kind feedback.

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VA] Short & Sweet Math Challenges #23: "May the 4th Be With You !" ... - Valentin Albillo - 05-14-2018 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)