Software for "Variable" and directories for HP Prime?
05-14-2018, 05:18 AM
RE: Software for "Variable" and directories for HP Prime?
Hello,

Directories have been discussed internally and, basically, we came to the conclusion that the work involved in implementing them was not justifiable at that given time (ie, we had more important fishes to catch), for a number of reasons...

We also came to the conclusion that, should we be implementing directories, it would be more along the lines of what Apple has done with the grouping of apps on IOS, not "directories" in the usual PC files way...

This stems from the fact that the intended use model of the Prime differs from the 48 series one.

Prime introduced "single file" programs where a single file contains all the information and apps that provides an on-off context...

The "idea", on a well organized calculator, what that Programs would be used for "math type" libraries. Things that needs to be always accessible such as specific generic calculations functions, while apps would provide (usually GUI driven) programs that could be started and stopped.

In this "world" programs would not have to store data (or just a limited set) while apps could. Apps would then be able to be developped either as a "one app copy, one data set" or a "one app, many data set" depending on what the developer needs/wants.

Small little "temp" programs (or test programs or programming exercises) would have a short lifetime and not be in large numbers, therefore not "poluting" the list.

We thought that, unless we started seeing hundreds of applications being developed, app grouping would not be nessecary...

If you envision the use of the system as I have described, you will see that directories become much less needed. But it does require a change in the way we work/think compare with the 48 series...
Some uses, such as users with massive data set comming from various customers might not work and need directories... And for the moment, we have no easy solutions for them (besides creating virtual directories through a user created program that would implemetn some indirection)....

I hope that this helps clarify things a little bit...
Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Software for "Variable" and directories for HP Prime? - cyrille de brébisson - 05-14-2018 05:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)