CAS Simplify: HP Prime vs. TI Nspire
08-13-2018, 09:54 PM
RE: CAS Simplify: HP Prime vs. TI Nspire
(08-13-2018 09:07 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Many math expressions do NOT have a single correct "fully simplified" form, but rather have many simplified forms of varying usefulness in varying situations. Prime and the 50g are designed to teach students to distinguish between these different types of simplification, and to use whichever one is appropriate to their current situation.

I appreciate the math instruction! :-) Nevertheless, the fact remains that the Nspire simplifies the aforementioned expression in a single step using its most basic "Simply" command. That may not provide an "excellent education for students," but it does get one from Point A to Point B in the shortest possible time. One can call me a buffoon all day for not having thought to use "trigsin" to simply that expression, but again, the Nspire does it without one having to ponder the "method of simplification" so deeply.

This boils down to "what is a calculator really for?" And that depends on who is using it. We want students to learn, but we also want powerful tools. I must admit that I have a bad memory. I love it when my electronic tools help me to avoid having to remember the nitty gritty details and get me to the final answer/solution as quickly as possible. One may argue, "you clearly are no mathematician." And my answer to that is, "Yes, you are correct."

Anyway...

The second "simplification" example put forth in that article is this (Nspire at left, Prime at right):

[Image: Prime-CAS-fail-2-1.jpg]

What is the proper method of simplification on the Prime such that the Prime can achieve the same result in the above simplification example?

Lastly, I do not think that article is "biased toward the Nspire." If anything, it praises the Prime. It says the build quality of the Prime is better, makes less noise when rattled, makes less noise when buttons are pressed, has stable buttons, is easier to use, has a cleaner UI, and gives the buyer his money's worth. Wow! The only area where the article author gives the nod to the Nspire is in terms of Simplification, in that the user needs not know "special simplification methods" in order to get the expected simplified result.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
CAS Simplify: HP Prime vs. TI Nspire - JDW - 08-13-2018, 01:41 PM
RE: CAS Simplify: HP Prime vs. TI Nspire - JDW - 08-13-2018 09:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)