H->HMS conversion HP-15C vs. HP42S vs HP67
09-21-2018, 06:08 AM
RE: H->HMS conversion HP-15C vs. HP42S vs HP67
It's been years, but back in the day when a 41 was my main field computer in surveying I created a subroutine for displaying bearings and angles in dms format. It built it in the alpha register and used a view command to see it while leaving the original number unchanged in the x register. This also allowed display of cardinal directions instead of N90-00-00W.

Since the numbers given by the calculator are correct but it doesn't properly handle Sexagesimal rounding this is the cleanest option in my opinion. You could write a program called DMS which would convert the number from decimal and then view a properly rounded display leaving the number correct in the x register. It would have to adjust for the display setting and for me I would only use fix 2, 4, 5 or 6 as valid displays. If I only cared to the nearest degree no need to convert to begin with, anyone should be able to round that in their head. I also can't picture a need for less than a hundreth of a second but maybe someone else can.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: H->HMS conversion HP-15C vs. HP42S vs HP67 - Ken S - 09-21-2018 06:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)