Mathematical constants and computations, by Xavier Gourdon and Pascal Sebah
10-06-2018, 05:10 PM
RE: Mathematical constants and computations, by Xavier Gourdon and Pascal Sebah
(10-06-2018 07:35 AM)brickviking Wrote:  Dunno about you lot, but there used to be a truetype dir in /usr/share/fonts. I don't know what happened to it, if it doesn't still exist (it does on my Ubuntu but not on my Fedora). If that exists anywhere, shove the symbol.ttf into that, rerun whatever the right command is to resync the font dir, and hey presto, symbol. In my case, I happened to have the correct fonts in /usr/share/wine/fonts already, so I simply copied those (as root, of course) into /usr/share/fonts/truetype (after creating the directory), and fired up the browser. I went to the link in the original post, clicked on "Constants" and ... yep. They all seem to render. The root symbol looks a little weird, but I can live with that. You may even be able to get the correct fonts from the ttf-mscorefonts-installer (Ubuntu/Debian) package.

(Post 301)

That's an idea. The command to update the Fontconfig cache (used on Freedesktop based systems) is fc-cache, probably with the -f option.

The symbols look a bit different in the Wine version of symbol.ttf as it's not the same as the Windows version of the font. It's the "Wine Symbol" font rather than the Monotype "Symbol" font used by Windows.

FWIW, the Microsoft TrueType core fonts don't include "Symbol".

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mathematical constants and computations, by Xavier Gourdon and Pascal Sebah - ijabbott - 10-06-2018 05:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)