HP-27s and direct solutions legend
11-04-2018, 08:13 PM
RE: HP-27s and direct solutions legend
(11-04-2018 07:59 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Well, that's good to hear. I acquired one recently and love it!
I's probably the most underrated calculator ever. It was sadly discontinued pretty early (< 1993). One could argue that the 19BII was a good replacement for it, with all its functions (except precedence and base conversions) and more... But the 27S (1) has a much smaller footprint (truly pocketable) and (2) has the scientific fucntions on keyboard, not burried in the MATH menu...

And its "programming" model is very unique. The flexibility of the solver allows you to do much of what keystroke programming can do, but in a much more user-friendly manner (you only write equations, not programs): you get conditionals (IF), loops (sigma) with the possibility of emulating undefinite loops, statements (L and G functions)... It is similar to Excel formulas in a way. If only it had the ability to define functions (to be reused) and to set values in list (for indirect addressing) it would be as powerful as a 42S, you could emulate matrices ! It does not have integration, but adding it as a solver formula is easy.

I guess it was too odd as a scientific calculator, and that the concept of a "do everything" (scientific + business) calculator never took off... A pity, because the 27S is really loved by those who know its outstanding capabilities.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-27s and direct solutions legend - Vincent Weber - 11-04-2018 08:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)