Non-graphing calculator supporting complex matrices?
04-27-2014, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2014 03:25 AM by Manolo Sobrino.)
RE: Non-graphing calculator supporting complex matrices?
(04-26-2014 11:53 PM)supernumero Wrote:  I am teaching a differential equations course. I allow my students to use a non-graphing calculator in exams.

I just realized that I do not know of *any* current non-graphing calculator that can handle complex matrices (in particular, finding complex eigenvectors of real matrices: if a complex eigenvalue is known, the eigenvector(s) can be found via row operations). I find this state of affairs amazing, given that the HP 15C could do this over 30 years ago, even with its meek 1-line segmented LCD display. Sadly, not even the 34S seems to include the 15C's functions to handle complex matrices via real matrices (I beg to be corrected on this!).

I (and my students) will appreciate any info on this topic.

SN

You're right, graphing there are a few, but non-graphing... it ain't any Smile. Just the 15C and the 42S. The TI 68 has comprehensive complex support but no matrices. Neither had the Casio FX 580, although it had slightly better than usual complex for a Casio scientific.

May I suggest that you make your students do it by hand? It's quite easy, maybe tedious but also very instructive. You'd be amazed at the things they have trouble with.

And if you're lucky and they have no trouble with the chores, using a non-CAS graphing one capable of this should be tolerated IMHO.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Non-graphing calculator supporting complex matrices? - Manolo Sobrino - 04-27-2014 03:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)