HP Ultimate calculator
12-18-2018, 02:23 PM
RE: HP Ultimate calculator
(12-18-2018 12:15 PM)sans Wrote:  ... "How complicated it would be to gather in a single device a calculator with the power of HP prime that contains several emulations (or boots) to convert it into a WP43s for example, or a calculator with limitations for students (for example a teacher could manage them remotely and limit them), and all this in the body and with the quality of materials of an HP35S?

The unfortunate reality is that students often "forget" what is taught, in a very short time, exceptions of course. With that in mind, given readily available on-line technology, it might be reasonable to ask, "how necessary is it to teach much more than rudimentary concepts?" Tools are so close to the fingertips of all but the unconcerned, so capable of doing all that is needed, (virtually all STEM curriculum), you might ask yourself, "why bother?" Maybe a deeper learning philosophy, that teaches how to locate information, and work with these tools, would be more productive, educationally, and for society at large?

For example, I often work with systems of linear equations. I have a variety of ways to facilitate this, such that I often don't even think about the fundamental process anymore; instead, obtain results and utilize them quickly.

Maybe the hand held device really needed is one that can interpret an objective, launch an appropriate on line solver, taking inputs, and providing processed solutions, without much intermediate depth of knowledge on behalf of the "student" seeking answers?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP Ultimate calculator - sans - 12-18-2018, 12:15 PM
RE: HP Ultimate calculator - Dave Britten - 12-18-2018, 02:27 PM
RE: HP Ultimate calculator - sans - 12-19-2018, 08:56 AM
RE: HP Ultimate calculator - cdmackay - 12-19-2018, 09:52 PM
RE: HP Ultimate calculator - DrD - 12-18-2018 02:23 PM
RE: HP Ultimate calculator - Komanguy - 12-20-2018, 03:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)