The lack of handling root functions in hp prime
12-29-2018, 12:53 PM
RE: The lack of handling root functions in hp prime
(12-29-2018 10:47 AM)DrD Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 01:07 AM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  yangyongkang ​您: as Prof. Parisse has already noted, trying to compare Wolfram Mathematica vs. XCAS/GIAC doesn't seem very fair.

Yangyongkang​ was NOT making any "comparison" between the Wolfram product and XCAS. Understandably, Parisse is very protective of his work, his time spent, and the difficulty of making change, as it relates to unintended consequences in other parts of his code work. This makes it difficult, for users such as myself, when the use of his product leads to different results than expected.

This is the problem. So to mitigate differences, (like Yangyongkang), ​I often use the quick, on-line version, of Wolfram Alpha, to see if, (and, possibly, where), differences might be.

So it ISN'T "product comparison," it's "result confirmation." There are at least three ways this might be adding value to the Prime CAS, and XCAS, in general:

1. There may be an undiscovered bug in the CAS code.
2. There may need to be changes to accommodate unforeseen cases.
3. Results may, in fact, be wrong.

Speaking only for myself, when I encounter, and try to discuss "frustrating" results like this, I don't mean any disrespect towards Parisse. My goal is understanding, and to try to lead to improvements in the product. Language barriers, and personality challenges, impede progress. Sometimes, I sense that the personality side, overrides the goal objective. I don't mean for that to happen. I'm not a so-called "groupie." I purchased the product, not the author. Other resources are available, and suggesting that no one is forcing anyone to use one or the other, obscures the purpose of the topic under discussion.

The best outcome is when Parisse explains how his code result is correct, (or not). The fact that the Bernard Parisse legacy is very well established, immortalized in the history of hp calculators, etc., isn't particularly relevant to the issue of the moment. No offense should be taken over that, when questioning problems of the day.
Thank you very much, this brother, you really understand me. I did not compare the meaning of XCAS and Wolfram Mathematica. I think the reason why it is misunderstood is that my English is too bad. I sometimes have to use Google translation, which leads to a misunderstanding of semantics. China attaches great importance to the discipline of English, but the society lacks the atmosphere to learn English. Moreover, the differences between Chinese and Western cultures are relatively large, which leads to some misunderstandings in language communication. This is inevitable and requires everyone to be tolerant. I am not malicious, I really like hp prime and XCAS, I just raised some questions. Soory my poor english

study hard, improve every day
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The lack of handling root functions in hp prime - yangyongkang - 12-29-2018 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)