Planned Obsolescence is your fault
01-01-2019, 01:34 PM
RE: Planned Obsolescence is your fault
(01-01-2019 12:20 AM)DA74254 Wrote:  If you've never seen CPU's failing, it's a pity I did not take pictures of my unoverclocked Fujitsu-Siemens PC CPU. It failed; it even had a hole in it.. My Samsung 9 series laptop CPU died just short of three years usage. So there's that. (Bonus question, which TV series is that last quote from?) Wink

Nah. I saw CPU dying, but very a little compared to the amount of CPUs handled. A certain amount of mortality rate is to be expected.

Normally Motherboards/PCB fails, HD fails, PSU fails but what fails a little are CPU and Ram. I observed a lot of servers, or computing devices running up to 10 years in companies or universities without major problems. (they they get changed as obsolete in any case).

CPU and Ram are very resilient. You don't need planned obsolescence if the product is going to be obsolete in any case.
For example do you know that some bikes or some network switches have 99 years of warranty (or "lifetime warranty"). Why? Because it is more likely that the product after a while will be changed in any case as too old/obsolete/out of fashion.

The point is: let's not be paranoid or "we know it better". Some things need to break down to generate revenue, others do not need to as they become obsolete in any case.

For example in the 2nd world war the most common tank in the soviet armed forces was the t34. They built it very roughly without thinking about it as a vehicle to last. Why? Because they observed that the expected lifetime of a tank on the frontline was 6 months and was cheaper (resources, time, disruption of the front) to ship a new one than fixing a heavily damaged one.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Planned Obsolescence is your fault - pier4r - 01-01-2019 01:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: