Compensating for HP-35S’ shortcomings
01-27-2019, 06:55 PM
RE: Compensating for HP-35S’ shortcomings
(01-27-2019 05:39 PM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  
(01-27-2019 05:04 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  very limited size of programming memory
Yes, maybe 1 byte program counter? (384byte / 1.5byte/steps = 256steps).
And the memory shared between vars+stats and program area, that is the worst idea when the total memory limited.

The CASIO can solve it without any problem: eg. 4000P ~500steps AND 26 vars. If you have 0 remaining program step, the 26 var is available without limitations.

Another example, where the CASIO is the winner: The TI-57LCD has 48 program steps OR 6 vars, the CASIO fx-50F has 28 steps AND 7 vars. When the number of required memory registers increase above 3, the very limited CASIO pushes down the more capable TI.

I completely disagree. By having *all* available memory shared between program and data, it allows the user to choose which is more important for a specific task. If I need few or no variable memories for a task but need all of the memory space available in the machine for program steps, I can choose that option. I thought this was a brilliant feature when I first encountered it on the HP-11C that I bought in 1986.

In the Casio examples you give, Casio simply choose to permanently reserve some of the available memory for variables, thus preventing the user from choosing to use them for program steps. I would rather have the option to use them as I choose.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Compensating for HP-35S’ shortcomings - Steve Simpkin - 01-27-2019 06:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)