Scientific Calculator Keyboard Challenge
05-29-2014, 12:59 AM
RE: Scientific Calculator Keyboard Challenge
(05-28-2014 05:08 AM)walter b Wrote:  Hey, that's something good lookin' an' fittin' to that upcoming birthday. Smile Although I've almost no idea what some menus will contain ...
d:-?

You and me both! 'D'Ohh!'

Actually, here's sort of what I was going for:

CNST: Constants - probably a reduced set from what's in the WP-34S
CONV: Conversions - metric <-> imperial / U.S., mostly
SUMS: Sum of Xs, sum of Ys, sum of X**2s, sum of Y**2s, sum of XYs, n
PRB: Probability - combinations, permutations, ...
STAT: Statistics - means, standard deviations, ...
LR: Linear Regression - slope, intercept, r, x-hat . y-hat
RND: Random (numbers, not random menu) - seed, randomize, random number
FLG: Flag operations - set, clear, test true, test false
CMP: Comparisons - x ? 0, x ? y
PROG: Program stuff -- at least P <-> R, ISG / DSE, some simple program "file" management
CLR: Clear operations: x, stack, stats, programs (reset to start in run mode)
TIME: Calculations on dates & times not already on keyboard, possibly manage a real-time clock
USB: Operations with a USB host -- save & load programs, set for firmware updates
MODE: FIX / SCI / ENG, DEG / RAD / GRAD, decimal / separators
PRNT: Operations via IR to 82240A/B printer (trace, print prog, print stack, etc.)
PRT: Parts of numbers: CEIL, FLOOR, MOD, FRAC, INT, etc.
BIN: "Word"-wise binary ops on integers: AND, OR, XOR, NOT, etc.

The idea was to get nearly everything on an HP-25 on the keyboard, but relegating some less-used items (for me) and modes to menus in favor of stuff like I, [I], X<>(mem), program editing keys, hyperbolics, fraction display and binary / base (especially hex) items.

ABCDEF normally used for executing user code from labels. Pressing h-ABCDEF after f-16# (before ENTER^) inputs a hex digit. Pressing f-16# ENTER^ switches display to hex.

In previous version, I had little up / down / left / right arrows by the 2, 8, 4 and 6 respectively. These keys would be used to navigate menus, with ENTER^ to select the highlighted item.

If you're wondering how to undo a shift -- like 41C: press and hold any function until it cancels ("NULL").

Anyway, that's what I have in mind. I'm sure somebody can easily find a logical inconsistency before I even start coding.

So, Walter -- which do you like better: the six-row 5/4/4/4/4/4 or the five-row 5/5/5/5/5? For aesthetic reasons, I like the former, but some of the instruction grouping seemed better with the latter...

Dale
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scientific Calculator Keyboard Challenge - Dale Reed - 05-29-2014 12:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)