WP-34S: Stopwatch - bug, feature, or user error?
05-10-2014, 02:29 PM
RE: WP-34S: Stopwatch - bug, feature, or user error?
(05-10-2014 01:12 PM)Brad Barton Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 06:06 AM)walter b Wrote:  Since displaying tenths is startup default, let me suggest: IF tenths are turned off AND the stopwatch is running THEN automatic power down shall be turned off.

How about the following: IF tenths are turned of AND stopwatch is running, THEN automatic power down is enabled AND the time difference is carried forward to power up AND stopwatch is re-started with the time difference added.

Not sure I like it because it's error prone. Even though the user is supposedly unconcerned about the accuracy of the stopwatch in this scenario, the calculator would be showing a result with the potential inaccuracy of +/- 1 sec. This error could also increase to n*(+/-1 sec) with n power down cycles. I would tend not to trust an instrument that could return erroneous results.

Exactly therefore I made my suggestion as I did above. Please don't propose something you already know it's worse. Perhaps my English left space for improvement, so let me rephrase my suggestion:
"IF tenths are turned off AND the stopwatch is running THEN automatic power down shall be disabled."
As Marcus indicated, the stopwatch alone won't drain the batteries quickly.

d:-)

[rant] I sometimes find me wishing some claiming their mother tongue starts with 'E' would care for the precision of their written statements half as much as most folks do whose mother tongues start with different letters. Less uncorrected typos on this forum, less grammar faults, less cryptic sentences, less decoding efforts in a foreign language, ... Perhaps those 'E' folks could also try to decode in their language what a foreigner may have meant who took the effort of expressing it in it? I faintly remember a sign a late CEO of IBM put on his desk so his visitors could read it as well: THINK! [/rant]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WP-34S: Stopwatch - bug, feature, or user error? - walter b - 05-10-2014 02:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)