What has been the most you ever paid for a calculator?
04-07-2019, 01:48 PM
RE: What has been the most you ever paid for a calculator?
(04-07-2019 01:11 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(04-05-2019 01:46 AM)BarryMead Wrote:  In 1972 I bought the original HP-35 for around $400.00 US. When they offered to upgrade the firmware for free, I could not part with it during the school year, so by the time summer came around the free firmware upgrade offer had expired and I had to pay an additional $135.00 to have the firmware upgraded getting rid of the exp(ln(2.02)) bug. So the total cost was about $535.00

Mine still has that bug.

With so many of them having had the firmware update back in the early '70s, I wonder if the existence of that bug in a 35 nowadays actually adds to its value?

Absolutely YES!

It isn't logical that a known-defective machine is better, and arguably can be defended as these are theoretically more rare than fixed ones, but it makes perfect sense that they're worth more to an HP collector as this little bug embodies so much of what makes these machines so treasured: vintage, algorithms, candidate for a free bug fix from HP, etc. I still want one to augment my other 35 that does not have the bug...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What has been the most you ever paid for a calculator? - rprosperi - 04-07-2019 01:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)