[VA] Please Help with Windows strange problem
06-29-2019, 04:19 PM
RE: [VA] Please Help with Windows strange problem
Hi, Claudio and rprosperi:

(06-24-2019 07:44 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Icons are cached for performance. My guess is it uses a some quick hash to index the cache and that hash is (quite) prone to collisions. So every now and then one icon will collide with another and will be essentially substituted with another icon that has the same hash, but it's only temporary and only a cosmetic problem (until the cache is flushed), so in general it's not a symptom of an underlying bigger problem.

Good to know that it's not a symptom of something worse, but if a hash collision is indeed the culprit then that says a lot about the Windows' programmers who programmed that performance 'improvement'. Some improvement.

Anyway, what can one expect from Windows, really ? There was a time when I would defend it against what seemed to me unfair criticism. Not anymore.

(06-24-2019 11:54 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Claudio beat me to it, I'm sure it's exactly what he said. There is a simple and safe procedure for flushing the icon cache here:

Thanks, Bob, if the problem does ever reappear I'll try the procedure you mention first thing.

Have a nice weekend.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VA] Please Help with Windows strange problem - Valentin Albillo - 06-29-2019 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)