Casio fx-50F/fx-50FH programming
08-27-2020, 06:33 AM
RE: Casio fx-50F/fx-50FH programming
(08-25-2020 08:37 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Could read it easily, actually. Smile

You can read text easily, but reading text and complex formulas is not so easy: some people would never be comfortably enough, most people would need training, something a lazy cheater won't do.

(08-25-2020 08:37 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  And, BTW, why are you so obsessed with cheaters? it is not my first thought when I grab a calculator.

I'm not obsessed with cheaters but with calculator ban, and cheaters are helping to go forward with that ban.

I don't choose my calcs with cheaters in mind. In fact my favourite calculators are HP48SX/GX (with my GX plus cards I can have up to 1,25 MB RAM), also I own HP50g and TI-89/92Plus, and you have CAS with them and you can store a lot of information on them.

When I think in a ban scenario I understand the problem, and I see 7-sgment displays as a good solution: cheating is impossible or at least very limited. At the same time I see them better for a lot of students: those calcs, even if programmable (I own a few 7-segment display programmable calcs in my collection, including HP67 and HP15C) produce instant results, you press a key and you do something with those numbers, and you must to know what you are doing, and at the same time you can learn from it. A simple example is to press 1/x and watch how when you press repeatedly you get inverse and original number repeatedly. With modern calculators you type a complete expression, sometimes written like in a textbook, and you press a key to get final result: you loose all intermediate steps, you loose interactive use and live learning by that interactive use (for example 1/x as I showed before).

I think 7-segments display calculators have multiple values (from no, or near-no, cheating, to learning from immediate process/result).

I hate thinking in a world where high school students or college students have to do basic arithmetic by hand because someone ban all calculators. There is no reason to lost time with that basic arithmetic (it is totally a robotic job once skilled).

Of course I love my HP48 and other CAS calculators (really HP48 is lovely not for its CAS, but for a lot of other reasons). I think CAS is other step, and even more problematic.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Casio fx-50F/fx-50FH programming - ddd - 09-30-2019, 05:58 AM
RE: Casio fx-50F/fx-50FH programming - David22 - 08-27-2020 06:33 AM
RE: Casio fx-50F/fx-50FH programming - ddd - 09-12-2020, 07:31 AM
RE: Casio fx-50F/fx-50FH programming - ddd - 10-07-2020, 06:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)