The calculator I always wanted
03-14-2021, 09:42 PM
RE: The calculator I always wanted
(03-14-2021 08:22 PM)john gustaf stebbins Wrote:  Having units will be very useful.

Is there a way to be able to build units that I need?

I use micrograms per square decimeters in my work. That is not there (not surprising), but not even micrograms or decimeters. The Prime has the prefixes supplied as essentially separate units so you can build any SI combined unit.

In your example you have gallons per minute. Is that just by dividing 1 gallon by 1 minute then multiplying by 100?

A function to gather the units could be helpful. Is this part of the Symja engine? Maybe a set of functions could be enabled in the catalog if they already have some of this.

Sorry, I really wanted to give the ability to define your own units, but I haven't found a way to do it. I added about half these units to Symja myself, and I had to rebuild the entire library every time. They are basically hard-coded in. I did consider doing something where you could select a base unit and then apply a prefix to it, but that would be UI candy on my part; Symja would have to have every combination of base unit and prefix hard-coded in.

Yes, in my example, you just multiply 100 by 1 gallon / 1 minute. I don't have a gallon/minute combination unit. The combination units I do have (like foot-pounds) just execute several keystrokes for you on the base units (i.e. create a foot constant, create a pounds constant, and multiply them together).

I'm not sure if I understand your comment about gathering units. I'm guessing you mean that 8 ft * 3 in should either return 2 ft^2 or 288 in^2, but not 24 in*ft. If so, that is a limitation of the Symja engine; it basically relies on you doing a unit convert at the end to figure out how to optimize things.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The calculator I always wanted - vanLudwig - 09-08-2019, 04:29 PM
RE: The calculator I always wanted - EdS2 - 09-17-2019, 08:25 AM
RE: The calculator I always wanted - vanLudwig - 03-14-2021 09:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)