New kid - where to start
09-24-2019, 09:09 AM
RE: New kid - where to start
Hi Steve,

(09-21-2019 07:43 AM)NoEqualsButton Wrote:  ... Is reading the user guide the best way to tackle this beasty? ...

For me https://www.hpcalc.org/prime/docs/ and https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-818.html were a good starting with the Prime.

(09-21-2019 07:43 AM)NoEqualsButton Wrote:  ... During my brief journey thus far I have discovered the "backup" function. Does that create a file in the Android file system by any chance? ...

Backups generated by Shift+Mem->Backups in Prime Emu can be found in /data/data/com.hp.primecalculator/files/Backups/<name_of_backup>.zip in Android. The zip contains the contents from /data/data/com.hp.primecalculator/files/UserData/ with its subdirs. Unfortunately all the /data/data/ ... is only accessible on rooted Androids. :-{

(09-21-2019 07:43 AM)NoEqualsButton Wrote:  ... So I bought the Android HP Prime Pro app to get me started.

I also only use the Prime Emu 2.1.14181 on Samsung Android 7.1. (unrooted) and a rooted Huawei Android 4.1.
Especially when starting Prime Emu I get in both environments approx. 10% of the starts aborted by Android's '"Application does not respond." message. Starting Prime a second time mostly succeeds and allows to restore a backup inside Prime Emu.
But in approx. 1% of Prime usage I do not get the Prime Emu running at all anymore. The only way out is using the PC Connectivity kit to restore my Prime Emu environment on the unrooted device (alternativly deleting the Prime Emu data by Android allows starting again but will vanish your work). On the rooted Android I can manually restore /data/data/com.hp.primecalculator/files/UserData/ to get happy again.
I seem to be not the only one with similar trouble, but in contrast to some other users running my favourite CAS calc on my phone is a much bigger plus than some instabilities with known workarounds.

(09-21-2019 07:43 AM)NoEqualsButton Wrote:  ... Sadly I run Linux on my laptop so I've already been bashing my head against a brick wall with the connectivity tool fun. ...

When you face instability described before on your (unrooted) Android, you might need to find a way for Connectivity Kit on Linux, I fear.

Have Prime-fun!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New kid - where to start - NoEqualsButton - 09-21-2019, 07:43 AM
RE: New kid - where to start - HP67 - 09-21-2019, 07:29 PM
RE: New kid - where to start - Wes Loewer - 09-22-2019, 04:31 PM
RE: New kid - where to start - FrankP - 09-24-2019 09:09 AM
RE: New kid - where to start - victorvbc - 09-24-2019, 10:06 AM
RE: New kid - where to start - Randall - 09-26-2019, 02:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)