[newRPL] interested in RPN mode?
10-21-2019, 09:05 PM
RE: [newRPL] interested in RPN mode?
(10-21-2019 08:12 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Wouldn't that slow it down considerably? I'd like to see an eight level stack machine that works just like a 4-level machine other than the number of levels. Back in the '70s, just before introducing the Altair 8800, MITS had a 7-level stack desktop calculator that you could add an external octal programmer to. I was about to buy one when the Altair came out and my plans changed. With 8 levels, you should be able program almost any practical engineering equation without using intermediate storage registers.

Well, not considerably but yes, RPN mode would execute with a slight penalty compared to RPL because of the stack trimming. Now in RPN you always have to copy the T register when you drop arguments, or move up all elements when you insert, so compared to other RPN machine no, it wouldn't be any slower.
RPL would also suffer a tiny penalty because the main loop would have to check for the RPN flag to decide which mode is in, but probably too small to measure.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [newRPL] interested in RPN mode? - Claudio L. - 10-21-2019 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)