If I were to buy an LED model...
11-09-2019, 05:56 PM
RE: If I were to buy an LED model...
Hello!

(11-09-2019 04:00 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Honestly though, as heretical as it may sound, I'd probably opt for a TI-59 if I were buying a card-reader LED model. It's cheaper, more readily available, has more memory and more functions, has both a card reader and software ROM modules that can complement one another, plus it works with that great big printer dock. But if a 67 (or 97) fell into my lap, I certainly wouldn't say no!

So we are already two heretics here :-) After 40 years of owning my Ti59 I still like it very much an I would probably give away all my HP calculators (I have all LED models with the exception of an HP-35 "red dot") before parting with it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong about a Ti59. Some have bouncy keys (but this usually goes away with usage) and card reader problems just like their counterparts form HP. Occasionally I can't resist to buy one on eBay and now have two or three which cost me less than 10 Euros each. One even came with this monstrosity of a printer (it is really, really big for the little it does) that I never bothered to buy for my own calculator. What on earth am I supposed to do with these cash-register thermal paper printouts that fade within a couple of months?

One alternative not yet mentioned would be an HP-35. They can be found cheaply, with exception of the "red dot" variant, and most of them are working. At least you would then own the first scientific pocket calculator. That alone will impress your friends and familiy more than most that could be said about the other LED models. Apart maybe from the already mentioned HP-80 if you are into financial stuff. And if you happen to find a working HP-70 in good condition for less than 500$ buy it! The calculator itself will calculate for you what a good investment you just made :-)

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If I were to buy an LED model... - Maximilian Hohmann - 11-09-2019 05:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)