Big Calculator: How Texas Instruments Monopolized Math Class
11-26-2019, 12:15 AM
RE: Big Calculator: How Texas Instruments Monopolized Math Class
They do mention that Casio was the first to bring graphing calculators to the market, but then it goes on to explain how TI capitalized on it's relationship with the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics to make sure they were the calculator of choice in the 1980's.

I'm guessing though that Casio did do something similar to TI, just not in the US. For example in Oceania (eg Australia or New Zealand); Casio is the defacto choice for school and I see many fx-9750GII's being sold second-hand. In NZ, a standard brand-new price for the fx-9750GII is about $149.00, which is pretty close to $100 USD, which isn't all that different from TI (much better to get second-hand where you can get it at a fraction of the cost).

And like many things you grow up learning how to use, generally you like to keep using them. In fact the only real experience I have with TI is the TI-30X Plus Mathprint emulator I tried recently, which was actually not all that bad. But that Casio bias is still there, so I can't ignore that I am possibly a successful result of the Casio marketing strategy (aka 'Indoctrination' Big Grin ) in Oceania.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Big Calculator: How Texas Instruments Monopolized Math Class - Mjim - 11-26-2019 12:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)