Why no SOLVE & INTEGRATE commands on the 41C?
01-14-2020, 11:43 PM
RE: Why no SOLVE & INTEGRATE commands on the 41C?
(01-14-2020 07:29 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  Why doesn't the 41C have built-in SOLVE and INTEGRATE commands? These were introduced with the 34C if I understand correctly. The 41C has so many more functions, so why didn't they include solve and integrate?

Probably because of ROM-space limitations. The HP-41C also lacks such things as RCL arithmetic and (pseudo) Random-number generation, factorial for non-integer arguments (i.e.: gamma function), etc.

Anyway, the Advantage ROM does provide microcode versions of Solve and Integrate (the ones implemented in the HP-34C and HP-15C) in a very convenient 12 Kb ROM, so the functionality is available for the 41C all the same.

Quote:I see that root finders are in the Standard pac and Math pac, and the Math pac also has a numerical integrator.

Most algorithms in the Standard and Math pac are pretty subpar and slow, so I suggest giving them a wide berth.

If you want a good RPN Integrate for the HP-41C, consider this (3-page PDF):

HP-41C 3-point Gaussian Integration

and for a good, versatile RPN Root finder for the HP-41C, have a look at this (4-page PDF):

HP-41C Finding Roots of Equations

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why no SOLVE & INTEGRATE commands on the 41C? - Valentin Albillo - 01-14-2020 11:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)