Why no SOLVE & INTEGRATE commands on the 41C?
01-15-2020, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2020 01:48 PM by Ángel Martin.)
RE: Why no SOLVE & INTEGRATE commands on the 41C?
(01-15-2020 04:46 AM)hth Wrote:  I want to add that it is highly likely that the HP-41 was originally budgeted for having a 16K OS as can be seen from the use of page 0-2, then 3 empty and 4 being the diagnostic ROM. Thus, they originally set aside 16K for the machine but in the end only used 12K, leaving page 3 unused (until the 41CX).

IIRC the X-Func/Mem was introduced more or less at the same time as the 15C, or maybe earlier. At that point the trend to use extension modules really made sense, given the success of the mainframe. Later on came the CX, and then page#3 was used for the XF and CAT extensions, thus no room left for other stuff. The 41Advantage Pac was how they dealt with the crunch.

(01-15-2020 04:46 AM)hth Wrote:  Fitting it into opcode table would not have been too hard, it has several rather dubious instructions, ADV, CLRG, DEC, OCT are good candidates to be left out. There are also a couple of unused slots, though I do not know how easy it would be to make use of them.

I'd love to figure out how to activate those unused slots (the infamour "W comes to mind...)

Best,
ÁM

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why no SOLVE & INTEGRATE commands on the 41C? - Ángel Martin - 01-15-2020 01:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)