newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
09-02-2020, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2020 10:13 PM by Vtile.)
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1360 [ including official build]
(07-15-2020 03:24 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-15-2020 07:50 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  That's great, but wouldn't the keyboard need to be relabelled for newRPL?
<SNIP>

* I don't like the overlap of alpha and numbers. Same thing with the basic operators, I want to type '2*X+Z/2' without using shifts or changing the alpha mode.

As far as the letters overlapping with numbers:

Proposal, in alpha mode:
Help = R and Q (do Q as a shifted case?)
View = S
Menu = T
CAS = U
Apps = V
Home = W
Symb = X
Plot = Y
Num = Z

These above are the letters that overlap numbers and operators. Other symbols will need to move too, the # needs to be shifted not alpha, just like on the 50g. The double quotes "" will also be shifted, not alpha so we can type the 0 in Alpha mode.

Hello. It is nice to see the newRPL is still kicking (even more than three years ago).

I have just bold proposal (coming from simple idiot) as one solution for overlapping numbers and etc... What about implementing a longpress feature as or similar than in keyman+ ??? This is not optimal, but the keys with wrong labels are not either.

(PS.. HW hack: Dymo and clear nailpolish can be used for custom labeling for 50g, because the acetone? on nailpolish seems to soften the plastic used on that machine and such makes a solid pond).

Back to hibernation

PPS. As of units, I do lots of revolutions and degrees based calculation with really wild engineering units (not to be mixed with 'de facto' standard US or GB engineering units) on my day job (motion systems for industry). Have now introduced ie. _Re(volution), build custom unit menu to all odd but useful engineering units (for my surprise the menu will accept the keyboard shortcuts as original unit menu). I do also use conversions between _Re(=2*pi 360_°) and _° usually with time (seconds to microseconds) and some equipment specific engineering units mixed on top. This on vanilla OS on 50g. Just on heads up that non-scientific approach (from academic viewpoint) of units (basically dimensional analysis) can and is handy (edit.. IIRC crossed some annoying limitations of radians as non unit on vanilla OS, ppps. _uno were proposed as SI unit for scalar a quantity of dimension one ... _unit Tongue ). To keep it 'hack-able' for lack of better description.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1360 [ including official build] - Vtile - 09-02-2020 08:10 PM
Navigating through sub-menus - Gilles - 05-13-2023, 11:31 AM
It's a mystery to me... - Klaus - 11-27-2023, 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)