newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
07-28-2021, 08:31 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1487 [ including official build]
(07-28-2021 05:45 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  Claudio,

I took a stab at showing the kb layout for the prime in a graphical format, based on your linked post above, and from punching keys on the "prime look" simulator. Note that my template for the 50g mistakenly omitted the symbol for PI on the space key.

I blanked out some key labels that didn't seem to have functions on the simulator, but I likely messed up a few.

Does this look correct as far as you can tell? I don't have a G1 so can't try to load the FW, all I have to use is the simulator.

It does, but there's more that's missing. You also need to try the shift-hold planes. For example where you have < also has <=, etc.
Keep in mind this is not set in stone, we can make usability adjustments as we go. I tried to keep the blue things on the keyboard being used with the blue shift and the orange ones with On, but sometimes I had to reverse it.

(07-28-2021 05:45 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I have a few things I haven't figure out yet:
- Does the on key still turn the calc on and off? I can't confirm this with the simulator.
- Does the "x t theta n" key only enter "X", or does it still enter the other values depending on the calculator state? I blanked it out and labeled it "X" since I couldn't figure out if it does anything besides "X"
- Keys I can't find (based on the 50g layout):
- Z
- << >>
- : : (is this just a manual entry of two colons now rather than a predefined pair?)
- #
- <= and >=
- "carriage return" (right shift . on 50g)

More items based on the 50g layout (some of the left and right shifted functions):
- FINANCE, CONVERT, TIME, UNITS, BASE, LIB, CMPLX, ARITH, ARG (not sure what this one does)
- PROG, ->NUM, ->Q

Thanks!

- Z ===> it's exactly where you find it on the 50g: on the division.
- << >> ===> it's at 5 and 8 with shift (one of them needs to be removed)
- : : ====> Uses the "orange shift" On and minus.
- # ====> On + 3
- <= and >= =====> Same as > and < but holding the shift
- "carriage return" (right shift . on 50g) ====> On + Enter

The LIB menu is still at 2 (On+2), BASE is Blue Shift + 3 (as labeled), and Shift-hold rotates the base of level 1. Units is Blue Shift+ C (as labeled), CONVERT is at the same key but the other shift
->Q is the fraction key
->NUM is On + fraction key (like an Undo for fraction)

Most other menus aren't assigned yet (because there's less keys, so we are prioritizing the real estate, menus can be accessed in a couple of clicks from the main one, so not a high priority).

Then there's a few issues to discuss/resolve:

* There's a couple of missing symbols that need to be added. The :-> rule symbol isn't there, what other useful symbols are worth adding?

* In Alpha mode X and Y are up on top, so typing them is easy. Outside of Alpha mode, however, those are menu keys so X can't be there and the X key is at the D (has a x, t, Theta, n label). That's premium unshifted space that could be assigned to something else. I hardly ever need that X so maybe it can be used for something else?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1487 [ including official build] - Claudio L. - 07-28-2021 08:31 PM
Navigating through sub-menus - Gilles - 05-13-2023, 11:31 AM
It's a mystery to me... - Klaus - 11-27-2023, 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)