newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
08-09-2021, 01:35 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1487 [ including official build]
(08-08-2021 06:08 PM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  Is there a preferred venue to report bugs and such?
Yes, I can give you access to our bug tracker. PM me with a valid email address and I'll set it up if you want.

(08-08-2021 06:08 PM)Wes Loewer Wrote:  While on the topic of complex numbers, I noticed that most operations return a complex value in the same cartesian or polar format as the original argument. However, EXP seems to always return a value in polar format, and LN always returns a value in cartesian format, regardless of the format of the argument. Was this intentional?

For consistency, it seems like it would be better to always return the value in the same format like the other commands.
The general rule is all results are in the same format as the first argument. This is valid for all commands, when you operate with arguments in different formats (if you add a hex number to a decimal number, result is hex, if you add a unit 1_km + 1_m the result is in _km, etc.
LN and EXP are an exception because of:
a) Usefulness: One of the more important side effects of LN and EXP is the sort-of conversion from polar to cartesian.
b) Performance and precision loss: The conversion involves folding the number to the first quadrant, so it wouldn't be reversible. It also adds a little noise on the last few digits due to the trig functions. Right now EXP and LN are fully reversible (don't worry, I just saw 2 more bugs in LN and fixed them, will send updated firmware in a couple of days, I'm surprised nobody caught it before).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1487 [ including official build] - Claudio L. - 08-09-2021 01:35 PM
Navigating through sub-menus - Gilles - 05-13-2023, 11:31 AM
It's a mystery to me... - Klaus - 11-27-2023, 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)