newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
08-10-2021, 03:09 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1487 [ including official build]
(08-09-2021 09:39 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I don't oppose to having an alias, but if it has more than 3 letters it's harder to type, so I would personally never use it!

I almost suggested CAT (à la unix)

Quote:So I'd keep FOR the way it is, but I agree with Sylvain nothing prevents creating a new loop structure.

Yes, that's an even better idea.

Quote:Maybe:
Code:
<start> <end> <step> STEPFOR ... NEXT

Of all the examples you showed, this one would get my vote. As you said, anything more starts to look the same as a WHILE-DO loop. Although, I would reverse the name to FORSTEP which indicates that it replaces the FOR-STEP loop and suggests the order of the arguments. (Likewise for STARTSTEP.)

For style, you could even have a command that would replace "1 STEPFOR" such as the FORIF suggested by Sylvain. Such commands could only be paired with a NEXT, not a STEP.

Code:
<start> <end> <step> FORSTEP <var> ... NEXT
<start> <end> <step> STARTSTEP ... NEXT

<start> <end> FORIF <var> ... NEXT
<start> <end> STARTIF ... NEXT

of some such appropriately named commands.

Of course, my suggestion could be viewed as unnecessary since the desired behavior could be produced with a FOR nested in an IF, but I figured, hey, if you're going to create a new product, now is the time to bring things like this up before things get set in stone.

-wes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1487 [ including official build] - Wes Loewer - 08-10-2021 03:09 PM
Navigating through sub-menus - Gilles - 05-13-2023, 11:31 AM
It's a mystery to me... - Klaus - 11-27-2023, 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)