Updated PPC HP Calc Archive Available
04-13-2020, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2020 08:05 PM by Valentin Albillo.)
RE: Updated PPC HP Calc Archive Available
(04-13-2020 06:53 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  It still boggles my mind that these tools are not backward compatible with files created using an older Acrobat application. Is there a fundamental reason, or is it something "dumb"? :-)

It's absolutely dumb to the core.

The idea of the PDF format is to have documents that can be read in every operating system under the sun and at all future times so that no information gets lost over time because of format or version issues.

That an older software can't properly read newer versions is to be expected and natural, you can't stop progress and newer options and capabilities are certain to be implemented all the time.

But having newer software incapable of correctly reading the files created with older versions is absolutely unacceptable and completely defeats the purpose of an universal format specification which should be time-proof and version-proof.

As a personal example of this, all my newest versions of one of my sizable programs can correctly read all the files created by versions much, much older. The file format has been evolving through time and it's vastly different now but the latest versions of the program can nevertheless read all the older versions (down to the very first one) and supply the necessary defaults and make the necessary conversions so that the older files display and work correctly. Else I would be losing valuable information or wasting time to try and recreate it with the newer version, which is a definite no-no for me.

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Updated PPC HP Calc Archive Available - Valentin Albillo - 04-13-2020 08:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)