Most Treasured HP Collectible
04-19-2020, 05:10 PM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible
Hi, Nihotte(lma):

(04-17-2020 02:44 PM)Nihotte(lma) Wrote:  I think it's my second-hand (original) HP12C, in fine. [...] For a scientific or a computer scientist, what to think of a calculator without dedicated index register, indirect arithmetic possibility and so on...

There's a way to use the many storage registers indirectly, as shown in my article (PDF document, click the link to read it and/or download it):

HP-12C Serendipitous Solver
  • 8-page article for the HP-12C financial calculator, includes a 37-step program which makes use of the built-in microcode IRR solver and a number of assorted financial functions to find one or more real roots of polynomials up to the 14th-degree (and up to 1480th-degree or more if there are groups of repeated coefficients). The program allows for quickly entering groups of repeated coefficients and correcting wrong inputs on the fly, and can also evaluate the polynomial for any given arguments.
    Both root finding and polynomial evaluation are implemented using built-in financial functions without user-code loops or branching, so it's the fastest and more convenient polynomial root solver for the whole Voyager Series calculators, surpassing even the HP-15C's SOLVE function in this regard. Frankly, one of my very best programs for any calculator and among the ones I'm proud of the most.
    The program is fully commented on a step-by-step basis and 5 sample worked cases are included, among them finding real roots of polynomial equations of degrees 3, 7 and 137, and all 5 real roots of a 5th-degree equation.
Other articles of mine related to the HP-12C that perfectly demonstrate its "scientific capabilites" (and even "gaming"), and which you might like, are the following:

HP-12C Tried and Tricky Trigonometrics
  • 10-page article, includes a crafty 99-step program for the original HP-12 financial calculator which evaluates all six standard trigonometric functions (Sin, Cos, Tan and their respective inverses) very quickly and with full accuracy over an extended range of arguments.

Long Live the HP-12C
  • 6-page article celebrating the best-selling HP-12C, includes a 72-step program which will allow your HP-12C to play a challenging game of "Bridge-It!" against a human opponent in boards of any size up to 99x99. Try it on your unsuspecting financially-minded friends and see how they fare against the HP-12C !
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible - Gamo - 04-16-2020, 12:12 PM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible - DaveBr - 04-16-2020, 02:50 PM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible - Carsen - 04-16-2020, 11:22 PM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible - KF6GPE - 04-17-2020, 02:44 AM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible - Valentin Albillo - 04-19-2020 05:10 PM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible - BobVA - 04-17-2020, 08:40 PM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible - BobVA - 04-18-2020, 02:57 AM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible - Erik-M - 04-24-2020, 06:24 PM
RE: Most Treasured HP Collectible - PeterP - 04-28-2020, 04:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)