Term for feature that abstracts RPN program location?
05-14-2020, 08:09 PM
RE: Term for feature that abstracts RPN program location?
(05-12-2020 05:28 PM)Artur - Brasil Wrote:  About the term that abstracts the program location, I can't realize anything else than partitioning.
About other calculators that have this ability, I presume the 48 series and 50 do this memory partitioning.
The actual scientific programmable calculators from HP are really a shame. Just simple letter named programms, actually a step down on their scalate, for not saying something worst.
I tried one Casio FX-5800P, but it's facilities and "applicatives" are disconnected. Really bad implementation in an excellent calculator.

AFAIK, the HP Saturn CPU doesn't natively support "memory partitioning", although I don't know exactly what the OP is asking about and what "memory partitioning" in this case is supposed to refer to.

The Saturn CPU does support "memory controllers" which abstract the physical location of a nibble-addressed memory space which is connected to a physical memory device ( ie. The starting address and size of a memory region associated with a certain "memory controller" can be set to a custom, user-determined value ), but it's all the same to the Saturn CPU.

The Saturn CPU doesn't really support PIC or "Position Independent Code" as the "GOLONG" and "GOSUBL" instructions only have enough space for an offset that is ± 32767 / 0x7FFF nibbles ( relative to the PC ). This can be gotten around though by using a "linker" or "loader" ( which is tricky due to garbage collection ) but the usual practice, in User and System RPL land, is to just use a library to abstract the memory locations of custom commands.

Regards,

Jonathan

Aeternitas modo est. Longa non est, paene nil.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Term for feature that abstracts RPN program location? - Jonathan Busby - 05-14-2020 08:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)