HP-71B internal summation weakness in Math ROM
06-05-2020, 02:15 PM
RE: HP-71B internal summation weakness in Math ROM
(06-04-2020 09:07 PM)Christoph Giesselink Wrote:  BTW, years ago I compiled a larger HP48 project with the original DOS HPTools package v1.56, measured the compiling time and then the same project with the HPTOOLS v3.0.9. Compiling with v3.0.9 was much faster. Then modified the DOSBOX setting to "cycles=max" and then I had a compile speed with v1.56 nearly equal to v3.0.9.

(06-05-2020 12:39 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  
Quote:An emulator adds the overhead of the CPU/hardware simulation; Free42 is a native application. All depends on the performance of the emulation engine, I can't really judge the x60 ratio but it's the order of magnitude we can expect

I don't concur. A factor of 60x is just too much, no emulation should be that inefficient. Say 10x would be acceptable, if slow, but 60x ? Really ? Converting a 10 seconds running time to 10 minutes ? A 10 minutes running time to 10 hours ? That would be a horribly inefficient emulation, direct-to-garbage-bin class.

I can imagine the poor retarded emulation engine saying to itself: "What's that thingy ahead ? Oh, my, it's a byte ! ... and look, what's this other thing ? Hey, nice, another byte ! ..." and so on and so forth. Smile

This is an interesting discussion, but a bit off topic so I will open a new discussion, please feel free to comment.

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-71B internal summation weakness in Math ROM - J-F Garnier - 06-05-2020 02:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)