HP-71B IMAGE and PRINT USING
07-04-2020, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2020 09:52 PM by Garth Wilson.)
HP-71B IMAGE and PRINT USING
I need to resurrect an HP-71 program that I wrote in the 1990's. I apparently neglected to store it on tape (yes, my tape drive and all my tapes still work perfectly); but I had a printout, so I keyed it back in. Perhaps the printout was from before the last bug was fixed—at this point I have no idea—but I did successfully use the program many times in the past.

However now I get an "Invalid IMAGE" error message. As any serious 71 user knows, IMAGE lines (or image strings used in PRINT USING statements) do not get checked upon entry like other program lines do. I've never had any trouble understanding the extremely well written manuals, except for the IMAGE pages in the reference manual, pages 136 to 150! What an incomprehensible mess! I've tried lots of small changes in my image, yet it's still a no-go. Hopefully someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

'IMG': is just a label, and I'm not using a line starting with IMAGE since the image is too long for one line; so I form it in pieces in I$ which is dimensioned for 150 characters. The CHR$(248) is the degree symbol in the DOS/ANSI character set which I have also installed on the 71 for use with any Epson dot-matrix impact printer which used to be ubiquitous. Here's what I have now:

Here's a sample printout I was getting before when it worked, although I could get rid of the parentheses and commas (the commas aren't in the right place anyway, but that's minor):

In all the years I've been on this forum, this is the first time I have asked for any programming help. Thanks for any help you can give.

Uh-oh, the attachments don't show in the preview. Hopefully they will in the post.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP-71B IMAGE and PRINT USING - Garth Wilson - 07-04-2020 09:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)