Request for suggestions: algebraic equations in Free42
07-11-2020, 09:09 PM
RE: Request for suggestions: algebraic equations in Free42
(07-11-2020 07:49 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  The direct solution feature can be annoying. For example, it means that solving \((x-5)^2-9=0\) will always return \(x=8\) as the solution regardless of the starting guess for \(x\), because \(\sqrt{9}\) is always taken as \(+3\). A similar thing can happen with an equation involving trig functions. Although the direct solution feature can be disabled, it would be simpler not to bother with it at all. The speed advantage that direct solution provides is surely unimportant on modern hardware.

I agree that it the numerical solver is fast enough, but I'm under the impression that the direct solutions are required for certain use cases involving repeated evaluation when using L() and G().
(Does this apply to the 32SII/33S/35S as well?)

(07-11-2020 08:19 PM)johanw Wrote:  
(07-11-2020 02:51 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  The aim being to make sure that the name recognition for the new version is firmly established before any parasites start trying to sell their own builds from my code. (Several people have tried this with Free42 on iOS in the past, so it's not a paranoid scenario.)
[...] I am a little surprised that it happened with Free42, which seems a rather niche app for me.

So was I. And they were charging money for their version while mine was available for free! But of course that also means that if people will try this when the odds of success are close to zero, they will definitely try again when I release a paid version, giving them the opportunity to undercut my price. It's all good fun when you're giving away your software, but less so when you're trying to make a bit of money from it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Request for suggestions: algebraic equations in Free42 - Thomas Okken - 07-11-2020 09:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)