Image of inside of HP71B HP-IL module
08-08-2020, 11:19 AM
RE: Image of inside of HP71B HP-IL module
I finally got the module under a microscope so I could work on it.
With my finest soldering tip I touched each pad and confirmed that the pads were intact (except 2 that I can see are damaged). Then I found that the plate-through holes still had the tips of the contact fingers in them. So someone virtually wrenched off the fingers. That sounds more like gold harvesting than salvaging the fingers.
Anyway, the only way to remove these was to flip the board and get a soldering iron and finest tweezers onto the underside, to grab the remainder of the leg, very fiddly even under a microscope.
Finally I got the desoldering gun with finest tip onto the underside and cleared out each hole. No further damage other than a partial floating pad on the topside which has been heated and is now flat again.
Here are photos of the pads. Underside with the first three finger remnants removed, topside with all holes cleared.
Next job is to fabricate 13 fingers, and make a jig to hold them while soldering.
-Jeremy

Jeremy. HP restorer/collector/user. HP85/86/87 and HP41/71/75. HPIB and HP-IL testgear and peripherals.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Image of inside of HP71B HP-IL module - pamphonica - 08-08-2020 11:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)