Using the PIL-Box with the Portable Plus
06-05-2014, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 09:40 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: Using the PIL-Box with the Portable Plus
JF

This is truly amazing; yet another reason to want a PP.

How does ILPer, a Win32 app, run on the Portable Plus? Can any Win32 implementation be working on the Plus?

Also, the recent IL-related utilities on your HP-IL Resource Page are quite interesting; Using ILCtrl will be interesting to explore the loop from the "other" end. Can it co-exist with an HP-75?

And ILvlif appears to be a step towards what seems to be a never-solved problem, namely, how to easily exchange Windows files with LIF volumes. Much research has revealed there are lots of techniques that 'almost' work, but none that make it a simple file_copy level procedure to extract files from LIF to windows (or Linux, Mac, etc.) or vice-versa.

Is this the ultimate goal?

If anyone else thinks this is a good goal, please note so by reply so JF (and/or others) have some idea if this is really worth the effort.

Maybe I'm the only one crazy enough to want to assemble new sets of LIF volumes for playing with the 71B, 41C and 75C (sorry, I don't have a Portable Plus, nor any of the myriad HP workstations which supported LIF)?

I'm aware that I can accomplish some of the above by using Pil-Box and ILPer to move files from LIF_vol_1 -> device -> LIF_vol_2 but this is incredibly slow and tedious, 1 file at a time. (see JF I did read your reply in December to Joe about the 'unintuitive' process of converting through the DOS EMU71 emulator, but (thankfully!) I use 64-bit Windows so it's not an option).

For other folks wondering about the Pil-Box for HP-IL access, you can 'test drive' what it's like to use the Pil-Box by running ILPer with EMU71 (and EMU41). Very cool stuff, lots of fun, and pretty easy to get it all working.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using the PIL-Box with the Portable Plus - rprosperi - 06-05-2014 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)