SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
09-28-2020, 04:16 PM
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
(09-28-2020 03:13 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 08:46 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Although the mini-USB appears to be more robust, I believe the USB standard specs. for the micro specify more insertion/removal cycles than the mini, and such specs are typically not taken lightly by manufacturers.

As I recall from when the various USB standards came out, micro USB was designed to address two deficiencies in mini USB. First, they wanted a thinner connector to better package into small mobile devices. And second, they wanted the wear part to be in the cable rather than the port. With mini USB (and also Apple's Lightning connector), the part providing tension is in the port, which means if that wears out, your device needs repair. But with micro USB, the part providing tension is in the cable, so when it wears out all you need to do is replace the cable. Now, the micro USB connector is far less durable than the mini USB port so you have to replace micro USB cables far more often than mini USB devices wore out in the past, but a cable that costs a few dollars is a lot more manageable than a $100+ device repair.

That makes sense.

Mine just shipped, so now I get to spend the next two weeks being disappointed when the mail shows up!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch - Dave Britten - 09-28-2020 04:16 PM
Question about using .raw files - Namir - 10-05-2020, 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)