SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
10-15-2020, 10:24 AM
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch
(10-14-2020 08:59 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(10-14-2020 08:38 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  My understanding is that the domes on the PCB also need to be replaced, this is where it become tricky and probably why SM is trying to figure out what to do about this.
That the domes would need to be replaced was never in doubt. What is in doubt is whether that's all that needs replacing and whether the front case with the keyboard and it's slightly different keys would also need to be replaced.
Perspective! I always find it surprising how can two individual can see the same problem but from completely two different angles.
I though that the keyboard would need to be replaced was never in doubt. What is in doubt is whether .... you get the idea. Wink

(10-14-2020 08:59 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  To figure this out I put a production unit's PCB first into a DM41X Beta unit and then into an older DM42. The improvement is already significant without replacing the keyboard, which is just as well because replacing the keyboard also means transplanting the LCD and glass screen. To get those out you need to twist them to get them unstuck and I can just imagine dozens of irate customers e-mailing in saying "you told me to twist the calculator to get the parts out and they broke!"
Why not offer 3 replacement parts and a replacement service with different prices and warranties. ?
  1. Dome replacement sheet
  2. DM42 keyboard only (no warranty on screen if broken while replacing)
  3. DM41X keyboard only (no warranty on screen if broken while replacing)
  4. Send unit back to SM for upgrade

Sylvain

PS: I have purposely omitted the option "unit keyboard with screen attached" because of the potential abuse with the option "unit keyboard only"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Question about using .raw files - Namir - 10-05-2020, 08:18 PM
RE: SwissMicros Announces DM41X Launch - Sylvain Cote - 10-15-2020 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)