HP15C displays gibberish. Is it broken?
10-03-2020, 05:57 PM
RE: HP15C displays gibberish. Is it broken?
Hello!

(10-03-2020 05:35 PM)sebi Wrote:  I would like to know my chances of being capable of fixing it.

If it is really broken: The chances are zero. Here is a thread about repairing an HP15C that has some pictures: https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/...75694.html
As you can see, it contains two integrated circuits only. None of them can be replaced by a new one, because there have been no new ones since thirty years. And I strongly doubt that anything mechanical/electrical (like a key pressed constantly or a poor connection beween PCB and display) will result in the pattern shown in your picture.

Bying that calculator is like buying a lottery ticket: If it can be fixed by resetting and putting in new batteries you will have made a great bargain. Otherwise you will get a pretty paperweight for your money, which is a lot more than a non-winning lottery ticket :-)

Regards
Max

NB: If I were you I would still ask the seller (by mail or phone) to remove the batteries overnight. If that is already too much effort for him he can keep his crap. After all, he wants to sell his items, not you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP15C displays gibberish. Is it broken? - Maximilian Hohmann - 10-03-2020 05:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)