Chess programs or other programs with capable heruristics for calculators
10-19-2020, 06:00 PM
RE: Chess programs or other programs with capable heruristics for calculators
(10-16-2020 11:53 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Although a heuristic is an algorithm, a lot of people think of a heuristic as a proper subset of algorithms. All heuristics are algorithms but not all algorithms are heuristics.

Ok, I can see this somehow.

Quote:They differentiate algorithm from heuristic in that an algorithm is static; you write the solution to a problem once and it solves the problem the same way every time. A heuristic is self-modifying; it can learn by repeated trial and error so a heuristic chess program would learn by the outcome of every game and get better and better. The goal would be to have the program become unbeatable after many games, I would assume.

I am not convinced by this. Picking chess as example, a lot of evaluation functions and others were static, that is: given the same input, they will give out always the same output, without improving. This setting aside possible non-determinism if one runs multithread applications.

Those were also called heuristics. Thus on this point I could agree with machine learning, but all other approaches would be then "only" algorithms ?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chess programs or other programs with capable heruristics for calculators - pier4r - 10-19-2020 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)