What has the DM41 extra over the HP42s?
10-26-2020, 04:48 PM
RE: What has the DM41 extra over the HP42s?
I have both the DM 41X and the DM42 and I like them both.

Yes, there is a portion of nostalgia in using both of them, perhaps somewhat more in using DM41X. I think this is OK but it is likewise OK to ask for a practical comparison.

If it comes to practical usability I think there are basically two aspects which make the trade off:
- In favor of the DM 41X is the huge amount of software written for the HP41 that is readily available and that can be used on the DM41X without any adoption (as long as the HP-IL module is not used).
- In favor of the DM42 is speed (about 26 times faster), accuracy (number of digits more than three times) and overall the more modern concept. Programs written for the HP41 mostly do not need much change to run on DM42 as long as no module software is used but if a module function (e.g. integration) is used there is some work to do in order to adopt it.

There is one additional aspect which concerns older DM 42 compared to new DM41X (and new DM42). This is the keyboard that is much better with the new caculators. So if you want the new keyboard and you already have an older DM42 this might be a reason to buy a new DM41X.

Best

Raimund
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What has the DM41 extra over the HP42s? - rawi - 10-26-2020 04:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)