Free42 flagged as virus in Windows?
10-27-2020, 01:15 PM
Free42 flagged as virus in Windows?
I have received a report that the latest Free42 is being flagged as a virus by Windows Security. This wouldn't be the first time — in the past there have been false positives with Free42 Decimal (though not Free42 Binary, interestingly enough), which I was eventually able to silence by submitting the app to Microsoft's web verification service. That service performs a more thorough check and if an app checks out then they update their virus recognition database accordingly.

What's different about this latest report is that I am unable to reproduce it. I ran Windows Update in my build VM (Windows 10 1909) to get the latest malware definitions, but even after that, when I download Free42Windows.zip from my web site and unpack and run it, it is scanned but it runs just fine and is not flagged or quarantined. There is the usual warning about the app being from an unrecognized publisher — no surprise because it is unsigned — but once I say "run anyway," everything seems fine.

Has anyone else gotten complaints about Free42 from Windows Security lately? And if yes, under which version of Windows?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Free42 flagged as virus in Windows? - Thomas Okken - 10-27-2020 01:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)