[SOLVED] DSRN (dog slow roman numerals)
06-12-2014, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2014 11:50 AM by HP67.)
RE: DSRN (dog slow roman numerals)
(06-11-2014 08:23 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I'm guessing it could be even faster if you get rid of the A subroutine and unroll it wherever it's used, but then the program will get even more bloated.

That was actually my first version since I develop on the calc and don't have enough screen real estate and not enough experience with RPL to hit a solution I like on the first try. Then I went through it and factored out the redundant stuff, and moved it outside the CASE structure. Unfortunately, I didn't time it. I just knew it was redundant and got rid of it. It wasn't exactly the same as the subroutine, actually it was less instructions because i could do things more in order, closer to where I had the numerical value and symbol. Next time I'll be a little more careful, since it's obvious I can't tell a good performing RPL program from a bad one just by looking at it.

Dave Britten Wrote:the extraneous CASE evaluations.

Are you talking about inside the CASE statement where the debugger appears to be stepping over all the unselected clauses one by one? If so, I noticed this and I don't understand it. Obviously CASE does work, and once a clause is selected the other clauses are certainly not selected. But sometimes (always?) the debugger appears to be testing all the clauses when you STEP.

Thanks for looking at this. Some interesting stuff for me in what you did. I had not seen a subroutine made local like you mentioned possibly trying earlier and showed in your example here. And I didn't think about getting rid of the while/case and using a bunch of whiles. I'll play around with this a little more.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DSRN (dog slow roman numerals) - HP67 - 06-11-2014, 07:06 PM
RE: DSRN (dog slow roman numerals) - HP67 - 06-12-2014 11:44 AM
RE: DSRN (dog slow roman numerals) - HP67 - 06-12-2014, 04:49 PM
RE: DSRN (dog slow roman numerals) - HP67 - 06-15-2014, 12:02 PM
RE: DSRN (dog slow roman numerals) - HP67 - 06-16-2014, 06:09 AM
RE: DSRN (dog slow roman numerals) - HP67 - 06-12-2014, 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)