monic part 5: writing C programs on the calculator
02-01-2021, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2021 01:08 AM by F-73P.)
RE: monic part 5: writing C programs on the calculator
Thank you to everyone for the links and great advice - option b) was definitely the best choice.

I've ported the source code for the "TINY" compiler presented in Compiler Construction, Principles and Practice to the calculator:

[Image: 50896808981_660dfcbc80.jpg]

Execution time is not too bad, with 1000! (2568 digits, on stack level 6) calculated in about 6 seconds:

[Image: 50896490623_85bd6b6928.jpg]

I haven't added scrolling yet so I reduced the font size to see more digits:

[Image: 50896097733_fffa246e02.jpg]

The "TINY" language has the following BNF grammar:

[Image: 50900539612_74fea8abef.jpg]

and the following extended BNF grammar:

[Image: 50900535492_85c2827121.jpg]

I added bytecode generation to the parser and this was pretty straightforward, except for if-then-else and repeat-until statements; for these I used a stack to keep track of the destination labels and jump-if-false bytecodes for nested statements.

I would now like to implement the "C-" language from the same book, which is more powerful than "TINY" ("C-" adds support for functions and arrays). Here is a factorial program written in "C-":

[Image: 50900418856_667b86024d.jpg]

"C-" has the following BNF grammar:

[Image: 50900538422_445b7496f8_z.jpg]
[Image: 50900418246_a36bc4a18b.jpg]

My impression is that a recursive descent parser is not too difficult to write provided the programming language is small and the grammar is written in extended BNF.

Flex and Bison are of course very powerful and useful tools but my philosophy with the "monic" calculator project has been to minimise the number of tools and libraries used.

So if I can rewrite the grammar for "C-" in extended BNF I can use the "TINY" parser as a guide to write a parser for "C-". If anyone is interested in helping me with this please let me know.

EDIT: Thank you to Jonathan Busby for translating the "C-" BNF grammar above into an ISO/IEC 14977 "standard" (see the Wikipedia article) EBNF grammar, which I will use to write the "C-" parser:

Code:
program = declaration-list ;
declaration-list = { declaration } , declaration ;
declaration = var-declaration , fun-declaration ;
var-declaration = type-specifier , ID , [ "[" NUM "]" ] , ";" ;
type-specifier = "int" | "void" ;
fun-declaration = type-specifier , ID , "(" , params , ")" , compound-stmt ;
params = ( { param , "," } , param ) | "void" ;
param = type-specifier , ID [ "[" , "]" ] ;
compound-stmt = "{" , local-declarations , statement-list , "}" ;
local-declarations = { var-declaration } ;
statement-list = { statement } ;
statement = expression-stmt | compound-stmt | selection-stmt | iteration-stmt | return-stmt ;
expression-stmt = [ expression ] , ";" ;
selection-stmt = if , "(" , expression , ")" , statement , [ "else" , statement ] ;
iteration-stmt =  while , "(" , expression , ")" , statement ;
return-stmt = "return" , [ expression ] , ";" ;
expression = { var , "=" } , simple-expression ;
simple-expression = { additive-expression , relop } , additive-expression ;
relop = "<=" | "<" | ">" | ">=" | "==" | "!=" ;
additive-expression = { term , addop } , term ;
addop = "+" | "-" ;
term = { factor , mulop } , factor ;
mulop = "*" | "/" ;
factor = "(" , expression , ")" | var | call | NUM ;
call = ID , "(" , args , ")" ;
args = [ { expression , "," } , expression ] ;

The C language combines all the power of assembly language with all the ease-of-use of assembly language
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: monic part 5: writing C programs on the calculator - F-73P - 02-01-2021 06:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)