New Fix For Classic Silver Bar?
01-04-2021, 10:51 PM
New Fix For Classic Silver Bar?
Over the years there has been a fair amount of discussion regarding restoration of the (painted) silver bar above the keyboards on the Classic series. Various silver paints and pens have been recommended. I have tried a few, with fairly poor results, likely due to my non-existent artistic abilities. Recently* I did a semi-restoration of an HP-55 to get a decent working version in my collection. Having had no luck with previous silver bar restoration efforts, I tried to think of something new. Below are a couple of quick cell phone camera pictures depicting a new (to me, at least) technique that I used. Before I describe the method, I'll invite comments on how it looks, and/or conjecture on how I did it. If the consensus is that the technique might be worthwhile, especially in more capable hands, I'll "reveal" the technique, if no one identifies it. It was relatively simple and certainly nothing special, just one I do not recall seeing before. Quite possible it has been done before and maybe even described at this Forum. Sorry for the fairly poor picture quality. If there is interest, I could probably get higher quality images.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8984]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8985]

* - I say recently, but it has been over a year. I don't quite remember everything I did to the 55. I think I assembled one good unit out of a couple not-so-good units. In any case, I recently noticed that I had only two posts for all of 2020, back in January. I did not intentionally disengage from the Forum, but, for whatever reason or reasons, I just did not check in very often after about March, and did not feel I had anything much to say when I did check in. So I thought I'd start 2021 off with a thread about a fairly simple, low-tech, back-to-basics or however-it-might-best-be described issue.

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New Fix For Classic Silver Bar? - Jeff O. - 01-04-2021 10:51 PM
Bare-Metal? - striegel - 01-05-2021, 01:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)