RPN-PRGM: New Windows console application emulating HP calculators
02-18-2021, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2021 12:30 AM by Aacini.)
RE: RPN-PRGM: New Windows console application emulating HP calculators
RPN.exe version 1.0 is ready! This new version includes several changes, some minor, some larger...

I revised the method I used to convert the 80-bits X register into an ASCII string when ENG:p format is given. Although there was an obvious error in the former method, the corrected version is still not completely exact because it lacks additional tests to keep it simple and small. You may read about the difficulties involved in the Floating Point Binary-to-Decimal conversion at RyĆ»: Fast Float-to-String Conversion article. I still have to test the other modifications suggested by Albert Chan to improve the conversion method. Also, in this note: "eng:19 is 19 digits, not 20" you are right. This have been fixed. ENG:17 now show 18 total digits.

- I realized that Stack Overflow condition is shown as "-1.#FLW" (the same as Stack Underflow). I fixed this error, so Stack Overflow is show now as "+1.#FLW".
- A help screen is now displayed when /? or -? parameter is given.
- STO and RCL operations with no parameters now access LASTx register.
- HMS and HR (HH.MMSSCC to/from decimal hours) conversions have been added.
- I added HEX:# hexadecimal output format to compensate for the errors in ENG:p format. This operation is interesting because it allows to review the internal representation of the value in X register, including Infinities, NaN's and subnormal numbers.
- HPSTACK operation now enables/disables the HP stack emulation mode so just 4 stack registers are managed, the X register is saved in LASTx before all operations, and the T register is duplicated after operations over 2 registers. This is the larger modification completed in this version. I suggest you to read again the chapter 1- "RPN.exe vs. Stack-based calculators" in the new manual where the HP emulation mode is described.

You may download the new RPN.exe version 1.0 from the same link of the first version. There is also a new RPN_SP.exe program with a Spanish language messages version.

Antonio
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RPN-PRGM: New Windows console application emulating HP calculators - Aacini - 02-18-2021 08:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)